The Adams Mine, named for Cuyler Adams, the surveyor who discovered the Cuyuna Iron Range, was in Deerwood Township, Minnesota, near Eveleth, St. Louis County, Minnesota, was put into operation before 1894, and used partial open pit and partial shaft mining techniques around 1902. The mine was owned by the Minnesota Iron Company in 1904. The railroad in 1904 consisted of five 20 ton locomotives and numerous dump cars. The mine railroad was deemed in Kline v. Minnesota Iron Company, 100 NW 681 (1904,) to be a "railroad" with the imposition of liability for an employee's injury resulting from the actions of another employee under the then railroad company fellow servant liability statute, notwithstanding that it was an incomplete railroad and that it was not in public traffic only. Four men were killed in mine injuries at the Adams Mine in 1906, including one in a railroad injury. In the Adams open-pit mine near Biwabik, Minnesota, 30 men died between 1905 and 1920. The Minnesota Iron Company owned 95.7 miles of track, 26,800 acres of property, 13 locomotives, 340 cars, the loading docks at Two Harbors, Minnesota, and five pit mines.